Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A test of faith

'..you...tested us...refined us like silver...brought us to a place of abundance.' (Psalm 66:10-12)

When Jesus explained the cost of following Him, some of His disciples walked away. Yet the impact of those who didn't is still felt in the world today. By the time they wrote their epistles. His apostles had learned to see every test in life as a chance to strengthen their faith and multiply their effectiveness. Tests of faith are opportunities to surrender something of value to God, even when we have the right not to. In a test of faith, you'll feel assaulted and stretched by circumstances, yet not distant from God; tried by them, but not judged or guilty.

The Psalmist writes, 'For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver...you brought us to a place of abundance.' (Psalm 66:10-12). A test of faith doesn't really test anything unless it pushes you beyond your last test - past what you've already proven! If you try to run or pull back each time you reach what seems like your limit, you'll never know how much you can trust God - or how much He can trust you.

The fire that refines us like silver can come as a job lost, a relationship lost, good health lost, or a reputation lost. But with God, the end result is never in doubt.

If you're wondering today, 'How much more can I take?' listen to the words of Bishop JC Ryle: 'This only we may be assured of, that if tomorrow brings a cross, He who sends it can and will send the grace to bear it.'

In God's kingdom it works like this:

'Faith tested, character refined, abundance given.'

Reflection:

How much do I trust God in times like this?

When I think I have reached my limit and wanting to pull back/give up, I will never be able to know how much I can trust Him and surrender everything to Him.

I always think medicine is part of God's plan for me in my life. But many times especially towards the end of fifth year, when it is nearly the end point (as a student), I wonder if this is what I am really meant to do. I wish I never took up medicine and live a simple life as a teacher or something. I wish I did pharmacy. I wish this...I wish that...but it is all too late. I have spent all my parent's money because I chose to study medicine. I am not rich like other people who can choose to study something else and abandon medicine halfway through. So I have to finish the race (for the time being) which is to complete medical school. Medicine takes such a long time.....If only I wasn't blinded by the reality of being a doctor when I was in A-levels, I probably wouldn't have chosen to study medicine...

Haha...my rantings as finals is approaching...

Today had been a very tiring day. Did nothing much and wasted most of my time doing irrelevant stuff. Doing examinations on Lynda isn't the easiest thing because I had to carry the 'hips' and 'knees' repeatedly somehow just worn me out totally after 2 days of practising. I wonder many times where has the motivation and especially the strength that I had for my resit gone to? Somehow I had the strength to carry on non-stop throughout the 4 weeks. But right now, I have been skipping placement since NEEC trying to catch up on work (the doctor said we could miss our placement if we have work to catch up on) but somehow I don't have the energy to do the work that needs to be done!! Going for placement, even if only for half a day, can really worn me out so much that I cannot study anymore for the rest of the day. I did not go for placement yet I still don't have the energy.....

27 more days left to go....

The biggest test of faith....

How much can I trust God to pull me through to the end?

I NEED strength from Him at least to last me till the end of 27 days....

ps: Sorry am really so tired (though I really didn't do anything much today..literally nothing) that I cannot even construct my sentences properly...grammar etc all wrong...so hopefully what I have written is still understandable..

2 comments:

CF said...

Yea, I have the same problem as well. Despite knowing the end is near and time is running out, I seem not to be doing anything, although deep in my heart im nervous like mad coz of assignments and posters, and not a single bit of revision being done. Duno whats wrong with me. Then just now received an email telling us to hand in our poster template! ah...

But as you said, we have to finish our "race". I also spent my parents money dy and as this is my last chance studying, I have to complete no matter what.

Let's pray that God will continue to help us and strengthen us not only physically, mentally, but also spiritually. Like you said, the biggest test of faith, yet.

Gambate!

Psalm 31:1-3,24

In You, O LORD, I put my trust;Let me never be ashamed; Deliver me in Your righteousness.Bow down Your ear to me,Deliver me speedily; Be my rock of refuge, A fortress of defense to save me.For You are my rock and my fortress; Therefore, for Your name's sake, Lead me and guide me.

At the cross said...

Hey that is a nice psalm! My first time reading it. =) =) It is our biggest test of faith, yet! May God give us strength to finish the race!