Tuesday, January 5, 2010

4th January 2010

Today's quiet time was about Guidance for me. I think a good question was raised, which I probably thought of asking at times but didn't bother finding out further, which is "When is the time to seek God's guidance?" The story quoted was from 1 Kings 1:49-51:

"All of Adonijah's guests jumped up in panic from the banquet table and quickly scattered. Adonijah was afraid of Solomon, so he ryshed to the sacred tent and grabbed on to the horns of the altar. Word soon reached Solomon that Adonijah had seized the horns of the altar in fear, and that he was pleading, "Let King Solomon swear today that he will not kill me!"

After reading the commentary of the book and did some further thinking, I sort of came out with 3 points regarding this:

1. This is the main point of the verse I think, as it was mentioned in the book.
Sometimes it takes getting caught before someone is willing to give up a scheme. When Adonijah learned that his plans to gain the throne after King David were doomed to fail, he ran in panic to the altar, the place of God's mercy and forgiveness. He went there, however, after his treasonous plans had been exposed. If Adonijah had first considered what God wanted, he might have avoided trouble.
Don't wait until you have made a mess of your life to run to God. Make it a point this year to seek God's guidance before you act.

I think it's quite true that most of us went through times when we didn't seek God's advise/guidance before proceed on doing our work. Perhaps we have set aside things which we allow God to take charge of and things which we don't want God to interfere with. And this is not right, as we should surrender every aspect of our lives to Him. As a result of the incorrect mindset, we might end up in misery and it is not until that time that we start crying out to God and seeking help. Hence, it's important to put trust in God, knowing that he has good plans for us, plans to prosper us and not to harm us.

2. This story also helped me recall something which I thought of yesterday during the sharing time at CF's place about Job. I remember there was this question asked, "Do you just love the possessions which God has given to you or do you really love God Himself?" The way Adonijah acted seemed to me like he only thought of going to God when troubles were near him, when he was afraid that Solomon might kill him. (I'm not so sure about this part, as I didn't seek any other commentaries. So Steph, leave a comment if you have more things to say about this yea, thanks!)

In a nutshell, the reading today helped me to come to think that "after realising our mistakes of not following God's ways from the beginning, true repentance is essential rather than just asking God to help us clean up the mess."

3. Also, from the verse quoted above, it was written that "Adonijah was afraid of Solomon..." Instead of fearing God, Adonijah feared Solomon. Again, this presented to me a "distorted" mindset of Adonijah. As a result, he couldn't experience the calmness that the fear of God and not earthly things will produce.

I guess that was why he ran to the sacred tent quickly and pray to God, fearing that he may lose his life, rather than thinking of how had he put God down by leading his own ways in the past and seeing the importance of seeking God's forgiveness instead.


To end this, Proverbs 1: 30-33 shows God's promise regarding this topic:
[Wisdom says,] "They rejected my advice and paid no attention when I corrected them. Therefore, they must eat the bitter fruit of living their own way, choking on their own schemes. For simpletons turn away from me - to death. Fools are destroyed by their own complacency. But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear of harm.


yee kuan

8 comments:

At the cross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At the cross said...

I am not too sure about the part regarding Adonijah running to God only when troubles were near him.

I was reading Kings chapter one and two to see what happened to Adonijah.

If you read Kings chapter one, Adonijah appointed himself King without King David's knowing and also he did not invite Solomon. In other words, he was disobedient and he himself created the unnecessary trouble. So he ran to the altar probably trying to SHOW Solomon that he was in repentance for what he has done and then Solomon will spare his life thinking that he has fully repented. I don't know if he even think of God in that situation (doesn't seem to be written in the bible or maybe I dissect a bit poorly having not read or remember much of the old testament). I think it is likely that he ran to the altar to seek forgiveness and mercy (as the altar is a place of God's mercy and forgiveness) from Solomon (who is his younger brother).

I think Adonijah feared solomon because Solomon is now appointed King rather than being just his younger brother. Before Solomon was appointed King, I doubt Adonijah actually feared him because if Adonijah feared solomon, he would not have been so daring to appoint himself king without King David's permission and without inviting Solomon.

Read Kings chapter one and two for the whole story and probably you will be able to understand more than a simple verse. hehe...something that wee leon taught last time. He taught us to read the verses before and after because they are linked.

But I will try to confirm my opinion with Jean or wee leon..hehe.. =p

At the cross said...

Sorry ah I deleted the previous comment cuz I had a bit of grammatical error. =p

At the cross said...

Sorry just a thought...I just checked. Adonijah was only mentioned in chapter 1 and 2 of Kings and nowhere else in detail in the bible. The bible did not mention that Adonijah prayed to God asking for forgiveness so we cannot really assume if he actually prayed to God at that point....

Just to let you know la..After reading Chapter 2, it is quite clear that Adonijah did not repent, was daring enough to think that the kingdom still belongs to him and daring enough to request for his father's (King David)companion. He eventually died under Solomon's hands at the end of chapter 2.

At the cross said...

I spoke to Jean... one point that I wan to share is that Adonijah wanted to set his own future by appointing himself as king. Hence, the title of your devotion talking about direction. We need to seek God for direction regarding our own future.
Another point was that Adonijah ran to the altar because he feared for his life. =p

yeekuan^^ said...

ohh, cool! thanks steph! =)

At the cross said...

I asked wee leon about what you wrote..he said what you thought was not wrong too. =p =p So not bad la

At the cross said...

he said not bad observations..hehe