Psalm 23: Knowing the Heart of God.
A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.
This Psalm reminds us 4 things about God:
A) He provides abundantly (v1-2)
In verse 1, the word 'want' includes the idea of 'not lacking'. We are like sheep and He is the shepherd who provides abundantly. He cares for us and knows our needs. Therefore, under His care, we are content and not lacking anything. This reminds me of a verse that I learnt from my quiet time last week.
'And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.' (Romans 8:28)
This verse from Romans reminds me that God promised that all things work together for good for those who love Him. That doesn't mean that all things that happen to us are good, but they work for good, if we let them...An analogy to illustrate this meaning: It's something like baking a cake from scratch. All kinds of things go into it. Flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, butter, sugar. When all those ingredients get stirred up and put in the oven, then you have a cake. Not all of the ingredients that go into a cake taste good. Some we would never choose to eat by themselves. Who would want to eat a mouthful of flour or a raw egg? If we had our choice, we'd probably just pick the milk and sugar, the sweet things. But that would never make a cake, would it?
God cares for us. Sometimes he put certain trials in our life which may seem bad to us. But overall, the trials are meant for our good. It is through the process where we learn and mature. When we look back in retrospect, we realise that everything that has been placed in our life is for our good indeed! So this reminds me to give thanks to God for everything, whether good or bad! Even if I fail my exam, I should praise God instead of being sad and depressed. Cuz after enduring the difficult period of resitting for my exams, it was indeed for my good when I look back. So, I should have praised God for the suffering he had given me instead of complaining! Praise Him and work hard!
Back to the passage, 'still, quiet waters' is to drink from the pure waters of God's holy word. This is the key to contentment in our daily walk with God. Like what I have shared earlier on, I feel so much closer to God ever since I worked on my quiet time. Reading his word has become a joy and it gives me strength.
Today, when I was in hospital. Then I was told to do cannulation (inserting a needle). I looked at the patient's hand and it was really horrible because I simply could not find a vein. I could see one vein very faintly and I felt totally helpless. I was trembling. I fumbled around and was a bit clumsy and dropping things. At the point, I cried out to God in my heart. 'God help me...I am going to try out this vein, make it work.' Suddenly I was filled with calmness. My hands were no longer trembling and I steadily pricked the patient's hand. It worked! I was filled with joy. The nurse who was watching me then told me 'Good job, that was a difficult patient.' In the past, I wouldn't even have thought of surrendering to God. I would have probably depended on my own strength which I tend to fail sometimes. But releasing my burdens to God at the time helped me for I know that there is a God who is watching over me just like a shepherd looking after his sheep. He cares for me and gives me comfort.
B) He leads intentionally (v3)
'We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.'
Isaiah 53:6
As sheep, we sometimes go astray. The problem of straying and falling is when we insist we know what is best and fail to seek the counsel of God.
'There is a way that seems right to a man,
but in the end it leads to death.'
Proverbs 14:12
and this verse is repeated in Proverbs 16:25 as well.
But God wants to restore us and guide us back to the path of righteousness. Therefore let us repent and let Him restore us. Be conscious of His prodding.
C) He comforts lovingly (v4)
"valley of the shadow of death" - though including death, is better rendered "deep darkness". The valley experiences in life can be dark and lonely. But "I will not fear, because You are with me."
"Rod and staff" in verse 4 are pictures of the Word of God and the Holy Spirit of God. His word corrects and guides; and His Spirit comforts and encourages us to walk through the valley. The dark valley experiences need not be "dead-end streets." They can be roads to "higher ground" in our spiritual walk.
This reminds me that when I seem to be walking through a certain period of time in my life when everything seem dark and lonely, God's word comforts me and it encourages me to endure for these experiences make me closer to God in my walk with him. Most of the time, God speak to us through His word. It makes me realise the importance of reading His word daily and this really builds my relationship with God.
I remember what WL used to preach. "By reading the Word of God, you will come to know Him more and more. It is like a relationship with Father and son/daughter. To know your Father, you need to talk to Him (prayer) and also most importantly, reading the Word so that you will know this Father of yours. One day, when you meet God, you won't come to a realisation that you do not know Him (that is if you have not been reading His Word and therefore not getting to know God)."
D) He blesses unconditionally. (v5)
The presence of enemies (trials and tribulations) does not mean the absence of blessings. The blessings of God and the presence of His holy spirit in our life make it possible to live in the presence of our enemies, to overcome life's hardships and to live contentedly.
Seek and look to God whenever in hardships. His Word and His holy spirit gives us strength to endure.
My prayer to God:
My dear Heavenly Father, who has promised that all things will work together for good to those that love you, I pray that You grant me patience amidst the tumults, pains and afflictions of life and faith to discern your love. I thank You that You are my shepherd who loves his sheep. You guide us back when we go astray. But I come to You in repentance and restore me. Even when I am in trouble, You are always with me and I will not fear, for You comforts me with Your word. Your presence of Your holy spirit is always with me and I will endure and not be troubled. I thank You for all the good and bad in my life, for it is through these, I am closer to You.
In Jesus's name I pray,
Amen.
2 comments:
Hi Steph! I love this post too, it kind of brought out how God loves and helps us grow. Often, I ask God to draw me closer to Him, but I never knew how that happens. What you wrote reminded me that it is through all the ups and downs put in my life that everything progressed =) And for that, I find things in my life more enjoyable and not that stressful =P After all, we are hard pressed, but not crushed. (from 2 Cor 4:8 my bookmark's verse) God gives trials and sufferings, but for good.
Well done for the cannulation! Thank God that your patient didn't need to suffer, also that you were calm enough throughout ^^
Oh yea, I failed my handwash session for my 1st trial today, cuz I took 2 minutes >< but I passed it the 2nd time. When I look back now, actually I kind of... forgot that God was with me at that time too.. I was quite nervous even during my 2nd trial ><
haha...so now you know to remember God when u are on trial. =p One day memorise your bookmark verse to me..haha..your favourite verse wor. Continue reading his word and draw closer to Him each day k!
Post a Comment