Sunday, January 10, 2010

Psalm 8 - reflection for 9th and 10th Jan

Today's reading is from Psalms 8 (Seeing the glory of God)
A psalm of David.
1 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
above the heavens.

2 From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.

3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:

7 all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,

8 the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!


A. The grandeur of God's glory (verse 1-2)

The grandeur of God's glory in relation to Himself.

"how majestic is your name in all the earth!"

How "excellent" (how majestic) is Your name. God's glorious reputation precedes Him.

Two unique calling cards:

a) In heaven above: "You have set Your glory above the heavens."

b) On earth below: "From the lips of children and infants."

What a glory! Even children knows that as seen in Matthew 21:

Jesus at the Temple
12Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13"It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

14The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. 15But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant.

16"Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him.
"Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read,
" 'From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise'?"

B) The Grace of God's glory (verse 3-9)

The grace of God's glory in relation to Man.

1. Grace: The Great Surprise

Exodus 33:18 "show me Your glory"

18 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory."

19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

God's glory defined in terms of His grace. His compassion and His kindness towards us. What a glory!

3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

How many times have I taken pride in what I have accomplished. My pride puffed me up like a blowfish, making me look bigger than I really was.

But the Lord had to get me to see who I really am. I am like an ant standing before the world's ultimate giant: helpless, hopeless, worthless and useless. This verse changed me to look from my all-important self, to seeing myself as so insignificant when compared to God.

Man is precious to God!

a) Mindful of him

b) Care for him.

c) Crown him.

Even King David who wrote this psalm, a fearless warrior, whom God described as "a man after my own heart", also went through the same problem. He also experienced the insignificance of man in the presence of His Creator. But the Lord reminded him as he reminds us that even though we have been made a little lower than the angels, we have been placed in charge of His creation and crowned with glory and honour.

A part of psalm 8 is kind of repeated in Hebrews 2:5-9.

5It is not to angels that he has subjected the world to come, about which we are speaking. 6But there is a place where someone has testified:
"What is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
7You made him a little lower than the angels;
you crowned him with glory and honor
8 and put everything under his feet."

In putting everything under him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him. 9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

I took a part of Ray Stedman's interpretation on this part of Hebrews:

"But Jesus fulfilled the qualifications to realise man's heritage. He became lower than the angels, he took on flesh and blood, he entered into the human race to become part of it, he experienced death. Not on death of the cross, but also that incipient death that marks the way of man through all his days. Thus, "He tasted death for every man" and in doing so he took our place.

The writer of Hebrews reminds us that the suffering of the Son of Man brought glory and honour to all the sons of mankind who believe, for He is not ashamed to call us his brothers. And as He has been elevated above the angels, so are you and I.

Ephesians 2:1-9 says:

Made Alive in Christ
1As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. 4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Reminder: For God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus (Ephe 2:6-7).

Do we realise the grace of God in our lives? We are frail human beings that God remembers and watches out for. When we realise that we were dead in our trespasses and sin, and that God has saved us by His matchless grace, made us alive in Christ, and raised us up to sit in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that realisation should change the way we live today.

I am indeed the undeserving recipient of grace I have no right to expect and blessings I have no ability to measure. I am humbled to see what God, the Creator of the Universe, has done for me. I should not take pride in what the power of my mind and the strength of my arm have accomplished.

Conclusion: But man is lost without God. He came to seek and save the lost. Everytime we click our fingers, four people have died - and they are precious to God!

Sorry for taking so long with this psalm. I admit I struggle putting this psalm in words which people can understand. After writing this, I don't think I have written it very well + a bit of referencing from other websites.

I cannot really afford 4 hours trying to dissect this psalm in a day because I have got a lot of other commitments (eg. studies, coming interview etc). So I have divided my time into an hour a day for my quiet time. I may be stuck on a psalm for days. So if you see me not blogging my quiet time for a while, it does not mean I am not doing it. It just means I am still working on it. Pray that God will give me some insight during the days when I am stuck with the any particular passage in the bible.

4 comments:

CF said...

I think this is the first time I left some comments here. Haha. I'm getting very restless with my revision so I need a break, what better than God's words! I have to say I really love "The Daily Bread", having just a short message where you can listen to everyday is so relieving and wonderful!

I'm sure God will give you some insight into His words. I received my first psalms lesson last week through email but I just don't have the time to go through. Will definitely start after this Friday, so lot's of catching up to do. Hehe.

I don't understand what you meant by "everytime we click our fingers, four people have died".

I have to thanks Yee Kuan for sending me the link to the daily bread. It was so happen to be on "The Unknown Future" that day, and was really suitable for the desperate and restless me. Hehe.

Thanks to both of you! Will join in this blogging after this Fri. :)

Take care.

May God Bless.

CF

yeekuan^^ said...

Steph, it's alright to take your time to dissect the psalms. It's really great to know that you're now doing your quiet time so regularly, and that you have such a great desire and hunger for the words ^^

CF, actually I was quite surprised by the daily bread's passage the other day too. I didn't search for it intentionally, but it somehow just seemed that God had put that passage there on that day, for you and for me.

I think by "everytime we click our fingers, 4 people have died" means that in a second (or however short clicking our fingers take), 4 people who are precious in God's eyes die.

Good to hear that you'll be working on your quiet time too after Friday. All the best to both your exam and Steph's interview!

yee kuan

At the cross said...

hehe...today's lesson was a bit deep so hopefully you guys manage to understand. I have to think through how to put them in better words. Still got some things I want to say in this Psalm but have no idea how to put it or whether in the right context. Maybe I will add on another day when I thought of how to write it. =p

Good to hear that you are taking a break by reading God's word and can't wait to read your thoughts on the blog. hehe...

Yee Kuan is right about the '4 people have died at the click of our fingers.' We are precious in God's eyes despite how insignificant we feel compared to God and he cares about every single one of us.

Hehe...good to know that both of u are having a great time doing your quiet time! All the best in your exam CF! Sleep early too Yee Kuan! =p Take care too!

geneleo said...

Thanks Steph for sharing this Psalm. Brought me back to when we used to do Psalms in cell... exciting times. :)

Think it is a tall order dissecting one whole Psalm a day. You have done VERY well! haha... I took a few days when i prep-ed for cell.

I think it is very humbling to realise the extent of God's glory and to realise that he cares immensely for us.

David started and ended the Palsm with 'O LORD our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!' Emphasis on the exclamation mark and the fact that there is a reason why people repeat themselves in the Bible. (know that paper and writing materials were scarse at that time).

Think that sometimes it is almost as if we are blind to how glorious and great God REALLY is. We sing, talk and hear how great God is but they become merely words.

When reading the Psalms, I am merely reading words but I put myself in David's shoes and imagine him alone in the fields in the middle of the night, Staring up into the dark sky and contemplating life and God. And it hits him... How big God is and how small he is. Then he contemplates further and realises slowly just how amazing God's love is for him. And there he finds the WOW! And i find a WOW too.

My significance is in God. Our signficance is in God! Our glory is in God!

Our response:
1. Thank Him
2. Trust Him

Indeed... O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!