Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.
We were challenged to just take at least one thing away from the sermon/worship/anything from church today, and just to apply it in our lives/practice it for the coming week.
Indeed, God had graciously given so much, and I often just have to ask myself "what else can I ask for?" The answer, I know, is nothing. I can asking for nothing else cuz for everything that God gave, I never deserved it, but He gave because He is gracious and He is good.
So, the sermon was largely about LIFE today. In Psalm 90, the only psalm which was a prayer by Moses, shows how short life is. It shows how SHORT life is. The highest average life span in a country is about 82 years old. That's in Japan. However, if we look at countries in Africa, the average life span can be as low as 39. But I was aware that we were talking about the AVERAGE. We may live well longer than that, or SHORTER.Often, I feel that I'm too young to think about what do I want to do with my life. I may have plans for the near future, but not for the far. I just don't see the need. But God calls us to live EVERYDAY to the fullest. He calls us to make a decision to make everyday count, every single day...
The pastor brought up the point that life is not only about personal success, it's about SIGNIFICANCE.
The topic which I ought to teach in Sunday School was about Matt 25:1-13. It was about being prepared for Christ's second return. It seldom hit me that Jesus is going to come again, although this knowledge is at the back of my mind. Honestly, if he was to come tmr, I can't say that I have no regrets about how my life has been so far. There are still wrongs to be corrected, and things which I have yet to finish, people whom I have yet to lead to Christ although I would love to. (but of course i know i can't rush into that in anyway)
A few points raised during the sermon today:
- Life is too short for doing nothing. (If everyone decides to do nothing, we lose. We lose people who might actually be saved if we actually do something. we lose things which we can secure, including friendships etc. )
- Life is too short to be invested in the wrong things. (Not only that we ought to do "something", but we have to do the RIGHT things. 1 cor 3:11-15. We can be involved in so many different things in life, including even studies, our interests like sports, cooking etc, relationships with everyone around us etc. We can be too busy trying to fit everything into our schedule. Hence, we need to prioritise and reach a balance. INVEST in things which can be taken to heaven ultimately. By this, it means one and only thing: PEOPLE. and people includes family, friends, people around and even strangers. At times, analyse our thoughts in God's views rather than men's. eg., if we say that the rain is depressing, and thence we lose our mood to do anything on that day, try to think about what god thinks about the rain? if we're upset by something, would god feel upset cuz of the same thing too?)
- Life is too short for carrying unnecessary burdens (Jesus lifts up our burdens. He gives us light to see and gives us freedom. This freedom, however, comes with a decision, which is to accept Jesus into our lives. I agree that we often pick up burdens here and there in our lives without ourselves noticing it. we see something, even sometimes as a 3rd person, and we our emotions get swayed and involved. we can't let go of things in life although we know we should, and it creates stress and burdens. but how frequent do we actually remember what Jesus said in Matthew 11: 28-30? Jesus told us that He HAD OVERCOME the world, so why let ourselves be stuck in fear and anxiety? Lay aside every weight and don't let sins get over you. Remember that in 1 Cor 10:13, god tells us that no temptation has seized you except what is common to man. The devil uses the same tactics over and over again. If God is for us and with us, why do we have to fall over and over again? We need not. Therefore stand strong and remind ourselves of the cross and how great God is everyday.)
- Life is too short to dwell in the past. (Look forward to the future, take courage to change what is wrong. Come to God with a childlike faith. It will not be easy at times, but His hands are opened wide, waiting for us. There's no reason why we don't need to be grateful for today to live, when countless people die each day, without expecting death. Make this God given day count.)
- Life is too short for being in a wrong setting. (We all know that we have a unique personality. But to thrive, we need to be in the correct setting. God trains and leads us to get us to the right setting, especially if we're not already in it. If you think God is doing it, don't resist. Sometimes getting yourself to the right setting takes a lot of boldness and courage. eg. God may call one to be set apart for Him, to serve in the church for example. Considerations like other people's opinions esp non-believing relatives or friends can hinder it. Fear results and it stops us from straight away saying yes to God. It's something that a lot of us have to face. That's why it is said that Christianity is NEVER easy. We as Christians know why have we made that decision to follow God, and we know that it's all worth it. To grow out of our own box and to progress to know God more and more is important. We have all been called to do it and to be imitators of Christ, even though we'll never be perfect. As Christians, I find that being clear of what purpose God has for us is important. It might take time. Purposes may be short term ones or long term ones. If we hear God our shepherd speaks, and we know that it's Him speaking, make that decision if you want to acknowledge that, and respond accordingly.)
Be glad that we have been chosen. We who are saved will one day be raised to the heaven. If possible, bring as many people as you can. It's a calling. It's our purpose. It's a difference which we can all make. We might not see the seeds germinating straight away by doing little things, but if we do what we can, no matter how small it is, one day we might be surprised when someone taps our shoulders in heaven and said to us "thank you for saying just that something to me. you might not have known but it got me into thinking and that was how i 1st came to know god." So do not be discouraged. and do it out of a voluntary will, not for reward.
Do not be discouraged too, if we feel that we're not capable enough. Rather, attempt to grow and learn. Be motivated just because we don't know much. Ask god for wisdom and growth. He listens, and answers. Most importantly, have FAITH.
Yee Kuan
14/03/11
No comments:
Post a Comment